J. Lankutis Public library of Klaipėda District Municipality is an institution that is trying to disseminate reach of information, also ensure cutural heritage and to create a smart and educated society of Klaipėda District.
Our library was established in January 1939, than later was completely destroyed during fire. Therefore, after the II world war it was rebuilt again. In 1950 the library became a regional library with the first leader Zigmas Lankutis. In 1976 the library was connected to the centralized system - at that time it had 27 branches (1 in a city and 26 in villages). There were 478 thousands of books stock and documents in the library. In 1955 the Central Library of the district was named Public Library of the Klaipėda District Municipality. In 2000 the library was granted the name of professor Jonas Lankutis. At present the library has 1 branch in Priekulė city and 22 branches in villages.
Mission - to create an open, advanced, attractive, communal informational and cultural space for local residents, encouraging reading, self-education, communication and lifelong learning.
Vission - an advanced, sustainable, value-creating, user-oriented library providing information, cultural, educational and scientific services and reducing social exclusion.